Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:44:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel driver doc's Take 2.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Richard Hodges wrote:

> For many (most?) people that may be practical.  But what about
> those of us with a 1RU system using fxp on the motherboard and
> NEED the single PCI slot for something else?  I suspect that
> there are more of us than you might think.

Richard,

	Well then I suggest you ALL start writing Intel every single day
to RELEASE DOCS WITH NO NDA. Then this problem will go away. Matt had the
best Idea so far. To take an NDA manual and get Intel to release the basic
functinoality parts of it openly. And that is what I sent to Linda Sanchez
at Intel. She said she would take it to the metting with some people. And
let me know of any updates. So I am pretty much not holding my breath. I
don't even use Intel HW. So I made the effort on behalf of people like
dennis. Said effort has been made, life moves on. AFAIK the XL driver for
3com card's performs just as well if not better then the intel cards. And
gee funny enough the new dual AMD Athlon board from Tyan will sport
onboard 3Com 10/100 FE. What an amazing coincedence. You now no longer
need Intel CPU's, and now you no longer need the fxp driver. You have
choices. If you choose not to use them... We can't FORCE Intel to do
anything. And as long as they dont want us to write open source drivers
for their hardware we won't. I'm just totally baffled at Intel's stance.
And as usual I am quick to get angry over such petty stupid things.
Which is why I don't work in PR :-)

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"