Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:11:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Troy Settle <troy@psknet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tuning a system...

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Troy Settle wrote:

> So... my question is, how can I tune my FreeBSD 4-STABLE boxes to run a
> little more stable? I intend to update soon, I've just been putting it off
> in favor of running my business.

First of all, what do you have MAXUSERS set to in the config file?  It
sounds like you have it set to a rediculously low (like the
default) value.

I generally set it to 256 and forget it.  Others might argue that a lower
value is better as you don't want to "waste" too much memory and that 256
increases a lot of kernel parameters.  I'd rather just set it and forget
it.  I can't say I've needed more than the quantity set by 256.

Beyond this, I highly recommend you look at man tuning.  This has
everything you need to know in it about tuning, as a general rule.

I would highly recommend you increase NMBCLUSTERS on any internet-serving
box.  I have mine set to 32768 on a heavy-use (5k users) qmail mail server
box, but if you have a heavier use box, or if you tweak on the TCP window
parameters you might need to increase it.

Again I highly recommend you looking at the tuning(7) man page.

> FYI, I don't consider myself an amature admin... my previous employer has 2
> 3.2-STABLE boxes that have been running for 2+ years without issue (one is a
> mail server w/5000+ accounts, the other is a web server serving with an
> entire class-c bound to it, serving >280k hits per day).

Yep, I recognize you from somewhere else (nanog or inet-access perhaps)
and associate your name as an "Old Timer" (meaning pre-1999 internet guy).

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE