Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:45:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
To:        Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NFS performance

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Jan Conrad wrote:

> We're making plans to upgrade our NFS server to FreeBSD-4.3 (including
> new disks...) and I would like to ask about the status of NFS v3?

Why do you need NFSv3? Are there particular features in NFSv3 that you
need or are you just guessing that v2 > v3 and therefore better?

> Currently, a standard NFS mount (4.3BETA) gives us a sequential writing
> speed of approx. 2Mb/s (just 400Mb dd'd data, IBM DTLA-307045 with
> softupdates) and reading speed of 9Mb/s (the maximum).

What is the speed of your network?

> Mounting via TCP gives us 2.5Mb/s. (Is this safe?)

Why are you using TCP? If you are on a reliable LAN, use UDP. TCP should
be used for long haul NFS. There are lots of reasons for using UDP, if you
want me to go into them, I will.

> Are there any other possibilities to increase the writing speed (by means
> of tuning NFS...)?

Again, try UDP. Also, go pick up the O'Reilly book on NFS and NIS. Alot of
what I'm going to tell you is in there (indeed the book is on my desk at
work).

-gordon