Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 23:09:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maxtor 40GB HD

On 16 Dec 1999, Andrew Heybey wrote:

> > This is backed up by somebody who emailed me stating that with their 27.5
> > GB drive, they had to leave off the last couple of sectors to get it to
> > work.
> >
> > So, is this a bug, a kernel config, or anything you recognize?
> > And, anything I can do to fix it?
>
> First, it is not a fundamental bug.  Proof by counter-example:
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ccd0c   66984252  4803840 56821672     8%    /netvcr

Yes, I'm not questioniong the limit of fs sizes, but that's a concat'ed
fs you have there. I'm talking about a single fs on a single 40GB disk.

> and there are others with much larger file systems than this.

In GB or sectors?

> Second, you did not provide any useful information to help anyone
> figure this out such as a) what version of FreeBSD you are using, b)
> exactly what arguments you are giving to newfs, c) what error messages
> newfs prints when it fails, or d) what your disk label is.

Version is 3.3, standard newfs args from sysinstall (-b 2192 -something
1024), the error message is a simple write error. What info from the
disklabel would you like?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Network Administrator               Fax 301-695-4060
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net