Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:59:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Longest possible DNS name??

	Just curious.  Never had to do this before but the bossman got
word from one of the execs up top that we've got to put this domain name
in place and with all due speed for something they will be needing in the
next week.  That I don't mind.  What's bugging me is the length of the
domain name.  It's 153 charecters minus periods and 17 levels deep.

	This is no joke.  Don't ask.  :)  The longest I've attempted with
bind is 42 charecters long and that was broken up into a 5 level
heirarchy.  Example: resource.boston-dcnorth.eastcoast.domain.com

	They want something over 3 time's that size.  So my question is
simple.  What's the most charecters allowed per domain level and how many
levels can we go?  I'd try to talk them out of this silly domain name, but
they're dead set on it and my boss has already gone though the fire with
them about it and came out extra crispy.  They're refusing to budge one
single bit on this.  So while my boss gets decrispified and our DNS guy is
out sick, it's my job to solve this.

	Can anyone help me?