Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:18:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
Cc:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH for Apache: Add FreeBSD Server Layout

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Jesse wrote:

> No, it is not. Then, if I want to delete and reinstall a program, instead
> of doing a nice rm -rf /usr/local/program, I have to figure out what files
> come from what programs ,where they are, and manually pick them out. A
> sysadmins' nightmare.

(cd /usr/ports/category/portname && make deinstall)
or
(cd /usr/ports/category/portname && make reinstall)

That was too tough for me.

> Now, imagine doing any of those things with all your files scattered all
> over multiple directories, especially when you start coming across some
> files which you're not whether they below to that program or not.

I'm going to repeat myself from my last post. This is why ports have
packing lists, so you know exactly who installed what.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -