Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 16:01:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
To:        leegold <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, MrK1nt@aol.com
Subject:   Re: Users in NYC?

On Sat, 20 May 2000, leegold wrote:

> yes i'm in the nyc area, i'm as they say a "newbie". i'm "reading-up" before
> i install FreeBSD for the 1st time.
>
> that eskimo.com link i cited- i went to one of their meetings last nite.
> even though most of the people there are linux users, there were some
> FreeBSD users too. AS a matter of fact some of the professional  sysadmin
> type dudes in the group are hooked on FreeBSD and good sources of info
> 'cause they've been hacking unix for years

I am in Staten Island and use Linux (Slackware for production, RedHat for
Workstations), UnixWare (legacy apps) and FBSD (my laptop and a fledgling
mail server, still doing conf stuff).  FBSD has a vastly superior
filesystem but lacks good docs.  No offense to Greg Lehey but one book
does not compare to the O'Reilly armada that focuses on Linux.  I have
a few older books on 4.4BSD but we could really use some new efforts...
'FBSD in a Nutshell', 'Teach Yourself FBSD in 20 Minutes', etc...
I'd like to see a book that starts with 'Remove the shrinkwrap, grab a
pint and a pizza...'

Jordan Hubbard is pretty good at explaining things...wish he'd take a
sabbatical and draft a tome.  I'd even agree to proofread (actually serious
here).

Anyway, I'm also a postgres and perl fanatic.  So, if the other New Yorkers
wanted to form a newbie usr group to discuss running FBSD (maybe an RDBMS
as well ;-), I'm in!

Cheers,
Tom

------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good                                   MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs:                  tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
                                          Phone: 718-354-5528
                                          Fax:   718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */