Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 02:50:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tom Duffey <tduffey@wi.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   User friendly and reliable backup solution

Dear FreeBSD Users,

I know this topic has been thrown around quite a bit but I haven't been
able to find quite what I'm looking for in the mailing list archives.

Our design company has two FreeBSD 4.1 machines: a web server and a mail
server.  I do most of the administration remotely while attending
school.  Although they are very bright, none of the other employees have
had much experience with unix-like operating systems.

I'm trying to come up with the most user-friendly and reliable backup
system possible for these two.  In the event of a crash, someone on
location will have to fix the hardware and perform the restore.  On the
hardware end we plan on getting some SCSI tape unit capable of dealing
with the full capacities of each machine, about 10gb max each.

Can anyone recommend a hardware and software combination that is known to
be reliable and easy to use, especially during a restore?  Should we build
another machine to act as a backup server or use one of the existing
servers?  I really appreciate the help!

Best Regards,

Tom Duffey