Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 19:24:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and the shift to 'web services'

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, j mckitrick wrote:

>| Until these services can achieve the reliability of the telehone,
>| and that includes your link into the service provider, they are
>| not capable of replacing on-site business infrastucture.
>
>Hmm.  Good point.  Interestingly, a recent article claimed software itself
>will someday become like a utility.
>
>| Should ".NET" become a reality, then it will be no time at all
>| before it is reengineered in Open Source.  The components are
>| already there (Xerces, or XML4C++ from IBM's "AlphWorks", and
>| other "glue code" is trivial to write to obtain the minimal
>| required functionality).  Companies will not win based on closed
>| standards -- we learned that during the Cold War, and we're not
>| going to make the same mistake again, when it comes to our critical
>| infrastructure.
>
>IIUC, MS plans to use these open standards to create .NET, but it will only
>work well if there are MS Win2k boxes from start to finish.  Apparently,
>some of the collaboration features of Office will (already?) follow a similar
>model: every link in the chain must be running IIS.  This sounds like a
>creative version of 'embrace, extend, extinguish,' but they are starting
>with their own standards!
>
>| I personally think that it's very unlikely that people wll trust
>| Microsoft, or any single vendor with their data.  That approach
>
>I agree.  Their track record here is dismal.  But how many office executives
>care?
>
>'I just want my PalmPilot to sync my Access and Excel documents without
>having to worry about it....'

Already done:  Quicksheet does Suxel pretty well FWIH and
ThinkDB+thinkDBsync does Access so-so again FWIH.  You just need to get a
PIII or better--PalmPilots don't do PalmOS 3, which is required for both
of these: previous to the Palm3, the OS ROM wasn't flashable.  The FUN use
of the Palm I recently heard about was using the sync cradle and TopGun to
serial-boot a Sparc5. :)

--
FINE, I take it back: UNfuck you!