Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 01:35:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Steve (CK)" <toen0013@tc.umn.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Laptops & FreeBSD?

Greetings!  I am planning on attending law school next fall and would like
to buy a laptop to bring with me to class to take notes, do research, and
connect to the local networks.  I'm hoping to be able to dual-boot this
system as Win2k (or XP) and FreeBSD.  Does anyone have any
suggestions?  How well (if at all) do the power-saver options works in
FreeBSD?  I'm hoping to do most of the work in FreeBSD but some law
schools have special Windows-only exam software so I need to have it
dual-boot a Win2k/XP.

My first thought was an iBook or TiBook running OS X but the prohibitive
cost has me second-guessing that option.  Maybe if the new IBM PPC chips
were to be introduced before next fall in the iBook I would take this
option but the speed and cost issue makes me not want to do this.

I want to make sure it can run FreeBSD well, is somewhat light-weight,
powerful, large screen, good wide keyboard (for my bad wrists), and isn't
crippled by manufacturer's bias towards Win* systems (like Dell).  Intel
or AMD processors are both cool; they're both local companies for
me. :)   Thanks and i'm very sorry if this isn't the correct list for
this.

Steven Toeniskoetter
San Jose, CA