Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:00:41 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Scott Mitchell <s.mitchell@computer.org>
Subject:   Re: Raylink driver/Mapping attribute memory

On 21-Feb-00 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20000220144552.22305@lungfish.freeserve.co.uk> Scott Mitchell
> writes:
>: AFAIK no approved way to do it in 3.x.  I don't think the Xircom
>: hack actually breaks anything; it's just non-portable, hard to maintain and
>: plain ugly :-)  There will be a clean interface to pccard memory in 4.x,
>: but it's not implemented yet (is that right, Warner?)
>
> Well, it isn't completely implemented yet.  I have some preliminary
> stuff that doesn't work yet.  I've wanted to get my cdrom and CF cards
> working first, which I've done and sent patches off to be reviewed...
>
> For 4.0[*] I'm not going to provide generic CIS parting routines, but
> will enable the drivers to map a memory window into either the common
> or attribute memory.  Driver writers will be able to use this in any
> way they see fit.  I plan on mapping at most 16k to be shared between
> the various pccards on a pcic in the system.

Can I urge you provide a mechanism to enable mappng of both attribute and
common memory - i.e. at least two mapped regions per card. The Raylink
needs this - it has the 4k of attribute space in which a small (16bytes)
register set appears at an offset of 0x0F00, and a 48k common memory section for
tx/rx buffers and large structure based control.

I don't need CIS parsing routines - just access to the register set.

> This is the last item on my 4.0 wish list.  The others are done or
> deferred at this point...
>
> Warner
>
> [*] Subject, of course, to the Uberhubbard's approval.

;-)

Duncan
---