Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2001 02:49:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Dell Inspiron 8000 and suspend-to-disk

On 03-Jul-2001 Ben Lovett wrote:
>  I have been running 4.3-STABLE, built on June 13, 2001 on my Dell
>  Inspiron 8000 system.  When I went to repartition the system to make
>  room for FreeBSD, as well as *ack* WindowsME, I must have nixed the
>  hibernation partition and would like to recreate it in the hope that I
>  will be able to suspend my system to disk.

Well.. under Windows the s2d functionality is provided by Windows itself using
ACPI..
FreeBSD doesn't do this yet (for lo it is very difficult) :(
There is apparently a way to get the BIOS to do suspend (Fn+A) to a seperate
partition, but I haven't got it to work :(

I found the tools in question by looking here ->

http://www.usmedia.nl/joel/inspiron.html

I've got the A10 BIOS (so now I can suspend to ram and everything comes back
except USB [the mixer volumes are reset to 0 though]) but no suspend to disk :(
The BIOS always reports that there is no partition or it is incompatible with
this BIOS (depending on the method I try).

If you have no luck finding the tool let me know any I'll send it to you.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum