Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 17:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Arizona Coyote <coyote@ratbert.aisol.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to be rude, miss the point and feel good about it

Formal Apology From Simonh Shapiro to The whole iInternet, FreeBSD in
particular and one unnamed dessert four legged creature.

In an attempt to contribute back to this fine community and project some of
the great benefits I personally gained, and my employer has gained, we
decided to put the technology of Distributed Lock Manager up for public
review, with an eye, once it has stabilized, towards contributing it to the
project.

I have announced some key features, avialability plans, etc. on the
Freebsd-hackers mailing list.  I have kept all the replies which had an
indication of interest in them.

Few days ago, I finally fot the code and documentation to a somewhat
presentable manner and decided in my eternal stupidity and ignorance of
good manners to create a little mailing list and subscribe to it those who
replied with interest.

A single mail message went out to those interested parties, announcing what
is available.  A short message afterwards announced a patch release.

Apparently, this is an abhorable abomination and I was severely admonished
for my transgression.

The range of admonitions was wide.  Some simply asked to be removed from
the list.  Some demanded to know how I got their name and some decided to
teach me a lesson and raid the ftp/mail server with junk mail.

The message below I like the best.  It is polite, to the point and an
excellent way to teach someone he/she made an etiquette mistake.

If I thought for a moment that this is representative of our little
community, I would have thought long and hard about being part of it.

BTW, If one of my 6.5 children ever talked to me in that language...

So, if any of you is interested in distributed computing rather than
vandalism, or in distributed resource allocation than foul language, please
drop me a line.

If I offended any of you by following up on something YOU expressed written
interest in, or if I mistook your interests and intent, I formally and
publicly apologize.

Simon

> > interest in this subject.
>
>  Yes, I use FreeBSD.  Why does that give you the right to subscribe me to
>  your fucking SPAM list?
>
> > To unsubscribe, send an empty e-mail message to:

>  Why should I have to unsubscribe to a list that i never willingly
>  subscribed to?
>
> > This list is dedicated to the review and discussion of Distributed Lock
> > Managers.  Since our initial implementation is on FreeBSD, it is the
> > platform of choice for this discussion, at this time.
>
>  This is starting to sound like fucking SPAM to me.
>
> > Some ground rules:
>
>  No more fucking SPAM asshole!  Get it?

Now,

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313