Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2021 18:45:18 +0200
From:      Roger Pau =?utf-8?B?TW9ubsOp?= <royger@freebsd.org>
To:        "Lizbeth Mutterhunt, Ph.D" <lizbethmutterhunt@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-xen@freebsd.org" <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: another xen-kernel UEFI story

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 03:52:55PM +0200, Lizbeth Mutterhunt, Ph.D wrote:

> > Op 12 aug. 2021, om 09:01 heeft Roger Pau Monné <royger@freebsd.org> het volgende geschreven:
> >
> > Adding the freebsd-xen mailing list again.

> >> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/xen-kernel-doesnt-start-at-all.8155

> >> via

> >> [data],
> >> reset-button

> >> hija!
> >>
> Hello Roger!

> >> primary

> >> Basically I know the RS-232 "live" in the 80s, and I was soldering a earth-
> >> cable to connect two PCs without any swith via a deviate of Midnight
> >> Commander. So first thought, enable serial port in bios; computer crashing
> >> at
> >> xen and crashes when allocating the re0. so disabled again!
> >
> > I 'm afraid I'm a bit lost here, so your computer does have some kind
> > of serial port?
>
> No, no RS-232 output of course but a parallel and serial console in the BIOS! I activated the serial port and got in troubles with booting; beasties logo has been disabled, so no boot menu to unset the xen_xernel at boot prompt. XEN never booted anyway.
>
> > Do you mean that when you enable the serial port in BIOS (I assume a
> > Serial Over LAN)
> Yup!
> > the re0 network interface stops working.
> Yes, at the dhclient allocations it stops immediately with no output or debugger info at all. Also the keyboard was disabled and I couldn’t press CTRL+C for avoiding DHCPREQUEST.

I think it would be better to get Xen out of the picture here, and
initially focus on getting a serial console working with plain
FreeBSD.

Once you have that it should be trivial to attempt to boot
Xen and get the output on the serial, but first you need to have it
working properly with plain FreeBSD.

The handbook contains a good section about how to get it working:

https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/serialcomms/#serialconsole-setup

But it seems like you will need some help from your hardware vendor in
order to figure out how to enable Serial Over LAN properly on the
firmware.

Note that you should be able to get the output of both the FreeBSD
loader and kernel on the serial console.

Regards, Roger.