Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2023 18:11:57 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        Tim Kellers <smsdtv@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has the update procedure changed?

El día lunes, agosto 07, 2023 a las 08:51:55a. m. -0700, Kevin Oberman escribió:

> On Sun, Aug 6, 2023 at 9:51 AM Tim Kellers <smsdtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 6, 2023, at 11:05 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 10:51 PM Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
> >
> >> In the past I was used to use the following procedure to install a new
> >> kernel and world:
> >>
> >>     # cd /usr/src
> >>     # make installkernel
> >>     # shutdown -r now
> >>
> >>     boot -s from the loader prompt
> >>
> >>     # adjkerntz -i
> >>     # mount -a -t ufs
> >>     # mergemaster -p
> >>     # cd /usr/src
> >>     # make installworld
> >>     # mergemaster
> >>     # yes | make delete-old
> >>     # yes | make delete-old-libs
> >>
> >>     # reboot

> I am more confused about  "etcupdate -p". Both files put it after the
> kernel installation and reboot but before the installworld. The man page
> for etcupdate says that '-p' it should be run before "make buildworld" and
> I have always followed the man pages.

The man page of mergemaster says:

     -p          Pre-buildworld mode.  Compares only files known to be
                 essential to the success of {build|install}world, i.e.,
                 /etc/group and /etc/master.passwd.

i.e. it must be run after installkernel and before installworld to
adjust the new /etc/group and /etc/master.passwd. After installworld mergemaster
should be run (or etcupdate) without -p to adjust all the scripts below
/etc, /etc/rc.d/ ... I've used this procedure above for many years and
it always let me decide it I want the new or the old or deal later with
the diff of all these files. And so I did it yesterday and it worked fine again.

Will check the next time what etcupdate wants to do, because it seems
the sucsessor of mergemaster.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045