Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2007 13:57:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Sean Farley <sean@farley.org>
To:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Scott I. Remick wrote:

> Just an update: I bought a new PATA CDRW/DVD drive and hooked it to
> the JMicron PATA port, and I'm still getting the same symptoms. So
> apparently it's unrelated to the Intel controller or SATA. The
> replacement drive is another Samsung. Is there an issue with Samsung
> drives?

I noticed the same issue with two different SATA drives (LITE-ON
LH-20A1S and HL-DT-ST GCC-H10N (in a Dell)).  It caused problems during
an install on a new system (the Dell) when it was trying to copy the
GENERIC kernel onto the system.  I resorted to an NFS install from
another computer.

My two drives (in different systems):
acd0: DVDR <LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S/9L08> at ata7-master SATA150
acd0: CDRW <HL-DT-ST CD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-H10N/C103> at ata3-master SATA150

Sean
--
sean@farley.org