Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:41:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fenestrating the Handbook memstick section

Currently, the Handbook only shows how to create a FreeBSD install
memstick by using dd(1).  This leaves the Windows crowd unaddressed.

I've done some searching for a Windows utility to write memory sticks
that is freely available and simple to use.

There's a dd for Windows (http://www.chrysocome.net/dd), but it's
difficult to use due to target names that are hard to associate with
drive letters, and just plain complex.  For example,
\\?\Device\Harddisk5\Partition0.

There's http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm, which is general-purpose
and shareware.

Finally, there's https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer, which is
Image Writer for Windows or win32diskimager depending on how you look.
Done by the Ubuntu folks.  GPLV2.  Easy to use.  The best option I've
found so far.

The questions:

Is there a better Windows utility for writing a memory stick image?

If we recommend Image Writer for Windows, seems like it would be polite
to ask the project before taking advantage of their download capacity.
Or would it be better to have a copy hosted on a FreeBSD server?