Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:41:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Subject:   Re: PORTS_MODULES in src.conf: make: don't know how to make instclean. Stop

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 07/02/2012 09:25, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, David Wolfskill wrote:
>>
>>> Huh??!?
>>>
>>> At least as far back as 06 Jan (based on the mtime of /etc/src.conf), I
>>> had set up src.conf to read:
>>>
>>> PORTS_MODULES=x11/nvidia-driver
>>
>> "Don't do that."
>> PORTS_MODULES is documented to belong in make.conf, not src.conf.
>
> It works fine in src.conf. Please point to the documentation you speak
> of so that it can be fixed.

PORTS_MODULES is listed in make.conf.5, and is not listed in src.conf.5.
>From src.conf:
      The only purpose of src.conf is to control the compilation of the FreeBSD
      source code, which is usually located in /usr/src.
This would seem to not include Ports code (which is usually located in
/usr/ports).

I'm pretty sure it's come up in the past that src.conf should only be used
for those build options explicitly documented in it, and not other
settings, and the implementation may be subject to change (so that other
settings would no longer work) in the future.  If you would like me to go
search for those previous discussions, I can try, but my reading of these
man pages is that it's pretty clear-cut.

-Ben