Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2019 10:11:34 +0100
From:      Marek Zarychta <zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 12 and Nocona

--EFSALO169kOvqSgy9tPTW5486j7ch5b7e
From: Marek Zarychta <zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

--I1KZ8f5Euh5dUef0r4jRveYLW9o7waKzE

Dear list,

I have under supervision a few old servers running 11.2-STABLE. The
hardware is almost for retirement, but still in working condition. It's
all old Nocona NetBurst microarchitecture. I have recently tried do
upgrade OS two of them to 12.0-STABLE, but failed. When I use old
bootloader the boot freezes on blue highlighted "Booting" stage, when I
tried to use 12 loader, it freezes earlier, on loading kernel modules.
The kernel was compiled from fresh sources for CPUTYPE?=3Dnocona.
11.2-STABLE is fine with this optimization and the same kernel boots
fine on newer hardware.

It is fair, that 11 EOL is expected September 30, 2021 and these servers
will likely be retired before this date, but some questions arise:

Is such old hardware still supported? Is it possible (how to) debug the
booting process?

Regards,

--=20

Marek Zarychta