Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:24:11 GMT
From:      Peter Lennon <pl2@balernochs.edin.sch.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   de0 and half duplex

Before I say anything else - thanks for FreeBSD - I don't see it said
nearly often enough in the lists.  It made our whole-school access to the
Internet possible.

I have a Pentium 133 box just upgraded to 2.2.5-RELEASE, with an SMC 10/100
PCI Etherpower card.  I also have a switch with two 100mbps ports which
only do half duplex (FYI, USR TotalSwitch, and they stopped developing it
before they had the software fixed to do full duplex, grrrr.)

Question.

Reading between the lines in "man de" I put

ifconfig_de0="inet 195.188.194.2 media 100baseTX -mediaopt full-duplex
netmask 2
55.255.255.0"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

in rc.conf

During booting, I see complaints about ? Cable problem, no connection,
however the thing appears to be satisfactorily connected by the time the
login prompt appears.

However, even though I have good connection (the machine is
www.balernochs.edin.sch.uk, and you can see it fine), I see this when I do
"ifconfig de0"

de0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 195.188.194.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 195.188.194.255
        atalk 5.249 range 2-10 phase 2 broadcast 0.255
        ether 00:e0:29:06:00:82
        media: 100baseTX status: no carrier
#

Can anyone throw any light on the problems during boot and the seemingly
spurious " no carrier" message?

Thanks

Peter