Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 2015 10:55:49 +1000
From:      Ruben Schade <newsgroups@rubenschade.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Degraded ZFS with encryption

Hi all,

I've had a drive fail in a ZFS pool. The affected drive was
automatically removed from the pool, and ZFS is reporting no known data
errors. All good so far :)

   pool: swimming
  state: DEGRADED
[..]
         NAME                      STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         swimming                  DEGRADED     0     0     0
           raidz1-0                DEGRADED     0     0     0
             ada0p4.eli            ONLINE       0     0     0
             11336101618008492576  REMOVED      0     0     0  was \
/dev/ada1p4.eli
             ada2p4.eli            ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada3p4.eli            ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Normally I'd just replace the physical drive and do `zpool replace`, but
this is the first pool I’ve created using bsdinstall during the initial
install process, and I elected for encryption.

Are there any further steps required to restore a drive in this
configuration?

TBH this box was more for experimentation, I have full backups of the
data in this pool. Just curious for future reference.

Cheers

--
Ruben Schade in s/Singapore/Sydney/
Time for a meeting, in digital space;