Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:17:27 -0400
From:      Al Stodolski <STODOLSK@symbol.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Commercial Applications (even free ones)!

When an application is referring to OS types, and Linux is mentioned can I also assume FreeBSD as well?

For example, Partition Magic wants to know what type of OS it will be making a partion for.  One of the choices is Linux.  Can I assume that this partition will be the same for FreeBSD as for Linux ?  What do I need to know to install an "app" intended for Linux but will be targeted for FreeBSD.  Is it just the ELF vs a.out issue or are there other considerations.

Thanks for any and all help.

Albert Stodolski
stodolsk@symbol.com

alternate: stodolsk@pb.net