Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:43:54 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fortune candidate from #FreeBSD on EFNet

At 5:49 PM +0000 2000/11/8, Terry Lambert wrote:

>  I still think that including the remainder of the sentence
>  makes for a more universally comprehensible joke.  I keep
>  thinking of the joke being translated into another language,
>  without the cultural baggage needed for completion of the
>  sentence, and wonder how well that baggage would be implied.

	I have been told that there is an old Russian saying that goes
"To translate is to betray".  I certainly believe that translation
does more or less damage to virtually anything ever written by a
human being, and in my experience jokes almost certainly suffer worse
than anything else.

	I would not worry about the issue of translation when considering
a joke for inclusion in the fortune database.  If you were to do
that, you'd have to throw out the entire thing anyway, because I
don't think a single entry is likely to survive.

	Remember, the flesh is rotten but the vodka is strong.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium