Date:      18 Aug 1999 15:00:36 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

 * From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>

 * With the repo-change comes an opportunity to change where our docs
 * are installed.

Why don't you discuss these stuff BEFORE you make the changes?

 * Historically, the documentation has been installed in to /usr/doc.  This

Wrong.  They have been installed in /usr/share/doc.

 * Does anyone have any objections to /usr/local/share/doc/fdp/ as the root
 * path for the documentation?  'fdp' is a little bit cryptic, but I like
 * TLAs, and the only other alternative I could think of ('docproj', or
 * 'doc-proj') is quite ugly.

fdp is even uglier, and I can't recall anyone other than you using
that particular acronym.

 * One more thing -- A mid-term goal is for the pre-built docs (HTML, PS, PDF
 * and so on) to be distributed as binary packages, to be managed using the
 * pkg_* family.  I'm pretty certain this precludes putting the documentation
 * anywhere other than a subdirectory of /usr/local/, so the old /usr/doc/
 * directory is right out.

As a mid-term goal, everything in the system is going to be packages
(if we believe what Jordan is saying) so where it's going is
irrelevant.

Please keep stuff in /usr/share/doc.  I don't see any reason to change
that, especially not with all the other changes going on around now.

Satoshi