Date:      20 Aug 1998 19:35:54 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        "Babkin, Serge" <sbabkin@dcn.att.com>
Cc:        "'dag-erli@ifi.uio.no'" <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, "James E. Housley" <housley@pr-comm.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Controller

"Babkin, Serge" <sbabkin@dcn.att.com> writes:
> What's the difference between 3940 and 2940 ? The only thing I know
> is that 3940 has two channels, and it worked for me fine with
> SCO Unix and Linux with the same driver as for 2940.

IIRC, it's a different chip (789x AFAIR, as opposed to 7870 for the
2940 and 7880 for the 2940UW). I don't know what the difference
between the chips is though. You might want to ask our CAM gurus, or
look it up on Adaptec's web site.

> Symbios is really great and cheap thing. But they are PCI.

OK. If you can lay your hands on an Adaptec 1542, it should work fine.
It's the only ISA/VLB SCSI controller I have any experience with
(which doesn't mean it's the only good one). ISTR there are a few bugs
in our 1542 support, but I haven't paid any attention to it for some
time so I may be wrong. I've run -stable successfully on a few boxen
equipped with 1542s, but not recently.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no