Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:17:26 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        ikob@freebsd.org, firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hello lurkers..

At Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:01:34 -0700 (PDT),
Julian Elischer wrote:
> Well I know this isn't an active list but I also know that people ARE
> working on 1394 and do listen to this..
>

> OK, so as a llong-term FreeBSD committer I want to
> get Firewire into the CVS tree in teh next few weeks.

As far as I know, Kobayashi-san will do.

> What I need to know is:
> 1/ it seems to me there are two 'variants' of firewire code.
> What is being done to address this? (DV vs General)

Both of two are originally written by Kobayashi-san, the first version
(for FreeBSD-4.x, http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/DVTS/software/index.html)
was discontinued because of the socket interface is objected by
FreeBSD developers.
He wrote new version from scranch for FreeBSD-5.x which has
basic SBP-II support. (ftp://ftp.uec.ac.jp/pub/firewire/beta/)
I improved the new driver (SBP-II support, async transactions,
kernel module, ethernet emulation, etc.) and put it on
http://people.freebsd.org/~simokawa/.

> 2/ are the current patches commitable vs -current?
> Note: they do NOT HAVE TO WORK to be commitable, but they should compile.

They compile and work.

We developed the source under our private CVS repository because
When we ask admin@freebsd.org to make repository on freefall for the driver,
we cannot get a response.

> New features need not be committed fully functional, but it makes it a LOT
> easier to get lots of testers if it is checked in.
>
> let me know how I can push this because 5.0 is close and
> I'd like to see it standard in 4.8 as well.
> (I actually need it in 4.4)

Kobayashi-san, any comments?

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: http://www.sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~simokawa/pgp.html

with "unsubscribe freebsd-firewire" in the body of the message