Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:45:19 -0700
From:      "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem installing on AlphaStation 400 4/233

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01BEC20B.B7CAE9B0

Folks,

I have a AlphaStation 400 4/233. I upgraded the SRM to v7 (from DEC's =
Web-site) and tried to install FreeBSD 3.2 Stable using kern.flp and =
mfsroot.flp from the FTP site. Everything seems to load fine but I =
cannot select my console type (I am given four options). It appears (if =
I read the kernel startup configuration information correctly) that the =
kernel is trying to use a serial console for the keyboard. I did (once) =
receive an error about my PCXAL keyboard and scan code (0x83, I believe) =
shortly after the menu was presented to me. The keyboard works fine in =
the system boot menus, the boot process (I can interrupt the autoboot =
and query the console value, which is set to prom) and when running =
Windows NT.

Trying to be smart, I hooked up a laptop running term emulation to the =
serial port and while I was able to start the boot process from that, =
once FreeBSD started it required me to use the console keyboard instead =
(all output is sent to the console screen as well, and not to the serial =
port). When I get back to the menu with the four console options the =
keyboard is unresponsive and the term emulator does not appear to work.

Help!

john...

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01BEC20B.B7CAE9B0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Folks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have a AlphaStation 400 4/233. I upgraded the SRM =
to v7=20
(from DEC's Web-site) and tried to install FreeBSD 3.2 Stable using =
kern.flp and=20
mfsroot.flp from the FTP site. Everything seems to load fine but I =
cannot select=20
my console type (I am given four options). It appears (if I read the =
kernel=20
startup configuration information correctly) that the kernel is trying =
to use a=20
serial&nbsp;console for the keyboard. I did (once) receive an error =
about my=20
PCXAL keyboard and scan code (0x83, I believe) shortly after the menu =
was=20
presented to me. The keyboard works fine in the system boot menus, the =
boot=20
process (I can interrupt the autoboot and query the console value, which =
is set=20
to prom) and when running Windows NT.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Trying to be smart, I hooked up a laptop running =
term=20
emulation to the serial port and while I was able to start the boot =
process from=20
that, once FreeBSD started it required me to use the console keyboard =
instead=20
(all output is sent to the console screen as well, and not to the serial =
port).=20
When I get back to the menu with the four console options the keyboard =
is=20
unresponsive and the term emulator does not appear to work.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Help!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>john...</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01BEC20B.B7CAE9B0--