Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 07:52:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone keen to help me get a Phillips CDD 521 Recorder working?

> > I'll checkout rtprio, and I'm sorry I don't have all the specifics
> > right now (you can probably find them at http://www.cdarchives.com) but
> > the Yamaha is a 4X writer with only 512k buffer.
>
> 4times, 6times -- what's the base for the comparision?

The unit is a single speed CDROM at 150K/s.  So this 4X driver is 600K/s,
so you have under a seconds data in the FIFO.

(This makes more sense than the frame grabbers that I've seen advertised that
operate at "twice real time".)

> The SCSI bus itself can transfer about 8 MBytes/s continuously (on a
> "standard" 8-bit controller, like the AHA-2940 or NCR 53c810).  How
> close do these burners come to that value?

They hopefully burst into their RAM buffers at this speed to give you the
latency you need to go read another chunk.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936