Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 13:03:33 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Act Now !

Amancio Hasty, Jr. writes:
>  > [huge 'Voice On Net' article deleted]
>  >
>  > The point being, if use of the internet stopped being an experiemental
>  > tool and became one tenth as popular as, say, the web browsers, the
>  > internet would stop being useful as a communications medium.
>
> Voice is just one data type. One incurs far more bandwith with
> downloading images, files, etc...

That's bursty bandwidth.  Voice takes up bandwidth fairly at a fairly
constant rate.

> By far the worst Internet polluter has got to be those zillions
> of Win95 users and AT&T now providing Internet services.

No, they aren't 'polluting' the Internet any more than you are, and in
actuality they are using up much less BW than you are.  However, there
are lots more of them.

> One would hope that if AT&T is going to provide Internet Services that
> they can also support their own infrastructure which happens to support
> much of the Internet backbone infra structure.

Why should you deserve any more BW on the backbone than a new user like
my father?  Just because you were there first doesn't mean he has as
much right to use video/audio tools as you do.

> The Internet is not a real-time delivery network any attempt to
> massively use it as such will just simply fail. People can tolerate
> slight delays on ftp packets, or downloading images but when it comes
> to sound and to a lesser extent live video they get quickly irritated.

So should we expect the MBONE to go away since it's neither feasible nor
useful to the general public?