Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 1996 00:12:25 -0800
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/1077: ipfw command doesn't work on 2.1-STABLE

>Number:         1077
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       ipfw command doesn't work on 2.1-STABLE
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE i386
>Environment:

	Perhaps I messed up on some step...

	I sup'ed over a cvs tree.   I checked out the RELENG_2_1_0
	tag.  I built a kernel...

	I installed it on my test system.  No network.  Looked at
	ipfw.  Compiled /sbin/ipfw.  Installed it.

	No dice: it says "missing action".

	The command I'm giving:

	ipfw add 32000 accept all from any to any

	I've tried reasonable alternatives.

	The version of ipfw.c that I have is 1.15.4.2.  Is that
	what I should be using?  If not, what's the right tag for
	2.1-STABLE?

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

	I think the default deny rule should be something that people
	have to compile in if they want it.  It's too destructive
	for novices and the unwary.  It's a good thing I read many of
	the freebsd mailing lists 'cuase if I didn't I wouldn't have
	thought to go look at ipfw.