Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 96 11:06:28 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT

> [Redirected to -chat since I don't think that the CVS committers particularly
>  want to join in what could be a protracted grammatical discussion :-)]

Ah! A lingusitic discussion.  Just what I like.  You'll be sorry :-)

>> Now, the first draft of my Phd was returned with a big red message saying
>> "a unit, not an unit!". Now I was a little peeved about this since my
>
> FWIW, I've never seen "an unit" used anywhere on this side of the
> pond.  Our english teacher taught us (way back in the late 70's) that
> `an' be used in front of words starting a, e, i or o.  We never
> learned it as a general rule for vowels (especially since u and
> sometimes y fit that category, and you'd never say "an uniform" or "an
> yankee").

That's a strange way to describe a relatively simple rule.  Consider
that the indefinite article in just about any language that has them
is identical to the word for 'one'.  It was in English, too, once upon
a time.  Thus, 'an' is really the normal form, and 'a' is an
abbreviation.  It got dropped in front of consonants.  The question is
not how you spell a word following an indefinite article, it's how you
pronounce it.  Most people pronounce 'unit' with a leading consonantal
y, so it should be 'a unit'.  Most people pronounce 'unpleasant'
with a leading consonantal 'a', so it should be 'an unpleasant
discovery'.  The same applies for 'hotel'.  Aspirate the h, and it's
'a hotel'.  Drop the h, and it's 'an hotel'.

> So if times they-are-a-changin' then perhaps only in the UK, since
> "an unit" has _always_ been considered incorrect over here, at least
> since I was in grade school.

The times *are* a-changing in the UK.  The pronounciation of the
language has been changing for the past 500 years, and there's no
evidence that it's done yet.

Grreg