Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 01:08:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Cc:        jerry@kcis.com
Subject:   Diskless Sun 3/80 (Xkernel)

A  couple of months back I  was happily using my  old 3/80 as an X terminal
diskless off FreeBSD.  After a while, something changed in -current, and it
didn't work anymore -- I  took a look at tcpdump,  and it appeared that the
3/80 was broadcasting on xxx.xxx.xxx.0, and not 255.

Ifconfig on FreeBSD gives me:

ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 193.56.58.141 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 193.56.58.255

... So I decide to change broadcast to .0  to try it  out.  The 3/80 boots,
but it still causes other problems (Xdm, etc...)

Are there any options,  BSD-side, to force the  interface to recognize both
broadcast addresses ?

Is  this configurable from the  Sun itself (PROM  ?), as fixing it AFTER the
kernel's booted gives me a great chicken and egg problem.

I'll  be  adding more  info what   Jerry   Kendall's already  written  soon
regarding diskless setups.

								-- Phil

--
- [ regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net / +48.8N+2.3E / +33 1 4507 9391 / Sol 3 ] -