Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:31:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mmap/mlock problem

I've written a driver for an industrial control card
(portions of it coppered from /sys/i386/isa/spigot.c
as far as the mmap stuff is concerned)

With regard to the mapping into a user program
it seems to work but the mapped memory region behaves
differently in the user process.

The ISA mapped memory is a dual ported RAM which is
controlled by the on board CPU on one end and the
user process on the other end. Writing something
into the ISA memory should not result in reading
the same back from it. But the fact of the matter is
that I read back what I'v written into it and this
seems to me as if the memory is cached.

I tried a mlock call on the mmapped region but this
seems to fail in the user process.

Can anyone give me some assistance on getting further
here?