Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 00:06:29 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Source Products

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 04:20:49PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

> >>    If we use the same yardsticks that Linux does to estimate installed base,
> >> then FreeBSD would be on about 500,000 machines. No joke.
> >
> > I am confused. Could you explain what yardstick Linux uses?
>
> Only slightly simplified:
>
>   "Well, if everybody who should be using Linux really does use it, we
>   might have 20,000,000 users.  I'd guess that only about 1/4 of them
>   really do, so Linux must have 5,000,000 users".

Now, that is an interesting way to estimate ones installed base. I guess I
was sleeping when this technique was discussed in my Probability and
Statistics class in college. ;-)

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses