Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:03:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Digitally Signed Messages (Re: HEADS UP: CAM cutover in two wee ks.)

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

(moved to -chat)
On Fri, 17 April 1998 at  9:15:31 +1000, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> On 16 Apr, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 April 1998 at 10:05:20 +1000, Andrew Reilly wrote:
>>> On 15 Apr, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
>>
>> Just because it's Outlook?
>
> No.  I've never used Outlook, but I've been biassed against Microsoft's
> e-mail products by the obnoxious things all of the previous versions
> have done to me over the years.

That was more or less what I was suggesting :-)

> My original comment was intended to suggest that a mailer that did not
> handle digital signatures in a way that is convenient for the recipient
> must be broken by design.  Note that convenient handling can
> legitimately include ignoring it altogether, or tagging it as an
> unrecognised MIME attachment.

Well, I've found more badly formatted messages from Outlook than all
the others put together, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible
to use it correctly.  But it *is* configurable.  I often send out
message in the first attachment to people who send out
one-line-per-paragraph messages (which seems to be Outlook's default).
Many reply to me with correctly formatted messages either thanking me
for drawing it to their attention, abusing me in no uncertain terms,
or saying "what are you talking about", as if they hadn't changed
anything.  I suspect that there are ways to configure Outlook to do
what you propose with digital signatures.  The real problem is
probably to explain to people what they should be using.  I've written
http://www.lemis.com/email.html for that purpose.  Comments welcome.

Greg

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

I'm sorry, I can't read this message.  It contains no line breaks in
paragraphs, it is a pain to read, and it's completely avoidable.  I no
longer reply to the contents of such messages.  Since I haven't
examined the message more closely, this also means that I may send you
more than one copy of this message, and that I don't know whether I
could answer your question or not.

I'm not writing to bitch about this: there are a couple of serious
reasons.  First, writing this kind of message significantly reduces
your chances of getting a useful reply, and secondly there's a good
chance that you're not aware this is happening.  If this is the case,
there is a possibility that it is due to your mailer, either because
it is broken by design, or because it is incorrectly configured.  I
have noted that the following mailers seem to have problems in this
area:

  "Microsoft Mail"
  Microsoft Outlook
  Mozilla (Netscape)
  Yahoo! mail
  exmh

Why do so many "reputable" mailers have these problems?  Bugs are one
reason, of course, but there's more to it than that.  Microsoft-based
mailers think they're doing you a favour by either leaving it to the
receiver to decide how to display the message (this results in
one-line paragraphs), or ensuring that no line is longer than a
certain length.  If this 'certain length' is slightly shorter than
what you enter, it creates a long and a short line out of each line.

So what's wrong with these approaches?

1.  The mail standards are explicit: the mail type "text/plain" should
    display exactly as written.  This is a feature, not a bug.
    Microsoft, in particular, often ignores this requirement.
    Consider what this can do to a message which is split into two
    columns.

2.  Normally, when you reply to a mail message, you 'quote' it by
    putting a '> ' sequence at the beginning of each line.  For
    example:

    --- example ---
    Fred Bloggs said:
    > OK, Joe, how about gettting together on Saturday and finding
    > out what's wrong with this machine.  I can bring along a
    > logic analyzer and a second machine for debugging.

    Thanks, Fred, let's do it.  How does 2:30 pm sound?
    --- end example ---

    If your mailer wraps this message, you could get things like:

    > OK, Joe, how about gettting together on Saturday and finding > out
    what's wrong with this machine.  I can bring along a > logic
    analyzer and a second machine for debugging.

    alternatively, they could be:

    > OK, Joe, how about gettting together on Saturday and
    finding out
    > what's wrong with this machine.  I can bring along a
    logic
    > analyzer and a second machine for debugging.

    I hope you'll agree that both of these look much worse.

Of course, it could be that my examples don't show up well on your
system.  I don't know how to help you in that case.

For further information, take a look at
http://www.lemis.com/email.html

If you do succeed in fixing the configuration, please let me know.  It
seems to be difficult, and so far I don't have much information to
offer in the web page.

Greg

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk--