Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:55:45 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Debian Touts Integrated SGML Environment

On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 08:44:25PM -0400, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> At least that's the title of a page on the Debian website, dated Mar 30, 99.
>
> The SGML support for Debian is very similar to the toolset used by FreeBSD.
>
> Obviously they believe this support to be a feature advantage.  Perhaps we
> should too?

Does someone on the advocacy team want to tart this up a bit?  It's
based on the Debian one (because I'm crap at writing PR).

               FreeBSD Touts Integrated SGML/XML Environment

FreeBSD's Ports system now makes it simple for an SGML/XML developer to
download and install all the tools they need to develop SGML/XML documents.

By separating these tools from the base system the SGML/XML developer can
install and upgrade them at any time, while other users do not have to
contend with additional software tacking up valuable disk space.

Features include:

  * James Clark's Jade 1.2.1 and SP suite version 1.3.3, enabling
    validation and formatting of SGML/XML documents.

  * ISO SGML entities

  * The DocBook (v2.4.1, v3.0, v3.1), HTML (all versions), and LinuxDoc
    DTDs.

  * Norm Walsh's Modular DocBook Stylesheets, allowing fine control over
    the appearance of formatting DocBook documents.

  * Emacs and Xemacs, in conjunction with the PSGML package, provide an
    industrial-strength SGML editing solution.

  * The teTeX-beta, in conjunction with the JadeTeX macros makes it possible
    to convert DocBook documents to DVI, Postscript, and PDF format (with
    embedded hyperlinks).

  * Additional SGML aware programs and utilities can be found in the FreeBSD
    ports system.

The FreeBSD Documentation Project is actively migrating from the LinuxDoc
DTD to the DocBook DTD, and has been providing feedback to the DocBook
maintainers regarding new features and possible implementations for the
past year.

The FreeBSD Handbook (1.3MB of DocBook source, 580+ pages of printed
documentation) has been completely converted to DocBook, and can be found
at

    <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/>;
    <URL:ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/>;

The FreeBSD Documentation Project is putting together the FreeBSD
Documentation Project Primer to make it as painless as possible for newcomers
to contribute to the FreeBSD Documentation Set.  Much of the information in
the primer is appropriate to all SGML/XML users, and is freely available.
The primer can be found at

    <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/primer/>;

For more information about the FreeBSD Documentation Project, please
contact the freebsd-doc@freebsd.org mailing list.

--
--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--

--
                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole