Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:53:47 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xe in 4.0-S (was: Annoying reverse hylighting in `more' 4.0-STsnap0624)

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 00:36 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

> If you are trying to install from scratch on a laptop, and
> don't have a NetGear pccard card (or anything cardbus), then
> I'd suggest installing from the latest 4.0-stable snapshot
> rather than from 4.0 release.  If you do have a netgear card,
> I'm sorry.  Some of the newer ones just don't work yet and need
> a lot of help.

Is there still some work done on the xe driver?  I have a Toshiba
satellite (very early model 210cs) which works fine with a 3x589e
and the ep driver.  But a Xircom "Power Series CreditCard
Ethernet Adapter" (PS-CE2-10) constantly has problems detecting
and *keeping* the media connection.

After booting (or loading the driver, respectively) it takes
quite some time to see which media is connected (TP constantly).
That's something one could easily live with.  But after some idle
time or even in the middle of a connection (i.e. traffic doesn't
matter) the network connections stall and syslog messages scroll
by looking like media is renegotiated or scanned and detected or
something (sorry, I lack better words, and I just see "intr
disabled, selecting 10baseX, intr enabled").  After this
artificial pause packets can flow again -- until the next
"irritation" which will be only a few seconds away.  All this
time nothing is done to the card or cable or something (the
device is even stable on a desk and definitely doesn't get
moved).

Which info can I provide besides 'uname -a' and /v/l/m at
initialization and failure time to surround and kill the problem?
The software environment is FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE from around
2000/06/20 (the latest xe commits are in it, I follow cvs-all and
didn't miss any change in this area).  The PCMCIA controller is
an ISA version of the i82c365.  Sorry for being this vague, but I
don't have the gadget around right now.  But I could provide
anything you want in a two days period.  I'm volunteering to test
whatever debugging and logging code you need to run. :)  And the
problem is quite persistent -- I have it with three different
cards of this type and they work in other machines (although not
with BSD and I don't have a chance to test this as I don't have
STABLE CDs or booting media).

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net