Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 2003 16:01:37 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   playing mp3s: a regression testing to add to 5.2?

--St7VIuEGZ6dlpu13

Hello!

I know this is 5.1-rush right now, but I'd still like to share this
somewhere since I think it's pretty important in order to get 5.x
stable.

I'm having problems playing mp3s correctly using XMMS. Usually, after
a fresh boot I can play music properly, but it still sounds slow (kind
of hard to tell though). During *and* after massive I/O (mozilla
scratching, major compilation, etc), the audio gets garbled as a
bonus.

This problem is widely documented in the -current archives:

Thread "Adjustig pcm buffersize|:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D359907+0+/usr/local/www/db/te=
xt/2003/freebsd-current/20030420.freebsd-current

In particular, this message:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D558987+0+/usr/local/www/db/te=
xt/2003/freebsd-current/20030420.freebsd-current

=2E.. puts out a clear listing of the possible causes, altough I don't
know the internals enough to tell wether it makes sense. :)

The thread "playing mp3s while burning a cd", very rich in many
different users similar experiences:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D177274+0+/usr/local/www/db/te=
xt/2003/freebsd-current/20030330.freebsd-current

What I think is that this should get a place in the "Desired features
for 5.2-RELEASE" listing. Maybe it's gonna resolve by itself as the
"Must resolve issues" get hacked through, but I still think it's a
good thing to double-check.

But if it's too much hassle, no sweat. It's not like I'm going to
forget. I switched from a P166 to a Duron 1Gz for my workstation and I
expect to be able to play mp3s without skipping, to say the least. :)

Thanks,

A.

--=20
Nothing incites to money-crimes like great poverty or great wealth.
                        - Mark Twain

--St7VIuEGZ6dlpu13

--St7VIuEGZ6dlpu13--