Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:21:49 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn@freenet.de>
To:        "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting up a local cvsup server

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:13:23 -0400
"Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently I keep a local cvs/svn mirror of the public repo.... I update
> my sources via cvs not c(v)sup... I just got a laptop and I want it to
> use my desktop (where the local repo is) as a cvsup server.... what do I
> need to do (I manually update my local repo and  want to continue with
> that practice so no need for cvsup-mirror or the method suggested in
> development(8)).... advice?

Actually it's no big deal to keep your CVS repository up-to-date with
cvsup and in my experience it's the simplest way to do it.

Anyway, in my experience here are the two most important things needed
on the server:

1) you _absolutely must_ have these symbolic links set correctly!
garyj:peedub:~:-bash:10> ll /usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/
total 0
lrwx------  1 root  wheel  8 May 16  2007 FreeBSD-crypto.cvs -> /u2/ncvs
lrwx------  1 root  wheel  8 May 16  2007 FreeBSD.cvs -> /u2/ncvs

2) then just start cvsupd with reasonable command line options.  I use
-C 2.

Then just create supfiles on the client and point them at your server.

It's really rather trivial.

---
Gary Jennejohn