Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:05:17 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Everything is installed, X does not work completely

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 08:48:01PM -0500, Super Bisquit wrote:
> http://slexy.org/view/s2yThC1dnb xorg.conf
> http://slexy.org/view/s20YSwsniH /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>
> I removed the record extension from ../xorg/modules.
> The rate for 1280x1024x60 was set on OB prompt.

The resolution set via the Open Firmware screen environment variable
only has an impact on the console and for X with Creator (3D) and
Elite 3D cards (for which no public documentation and not open source
mode setting code exists), but not on X when using xf86-video-ati.

> As you see in the logfile, modules are disabled then enabled.
> The card is detected.
> I also set Options "AllowEmptyInput" "Off" so it wouldn't disable devices.

This should not be necessary if you kept the default of compiling
xorg-server without HAL support.

> Now, there is no output to the monitor, just a blank screen. Rates are set
> to manufacturer's descriptions.

As I said before and as is also suggested in your Xorg.0.log you need
to set reference_clock, IIRC for an Rage XL you'll need:
Option "reference_clock" "28.636 MHz"
in the "Device" section of xorg.conf, but it also might be 29.5 MHz.

> In theory, the screen should be active; but, in reality a lot of modules
> load with no result.

This shouldn't matter; you'll see similar things on f.e. amd64/i386
when drm(4) isn't available etc.

> 1) Do I need to disable the framebuffer in xorg.conf or by sysctl?

I don't get what you are trying to ask here.

> 2) I see the refresh rates, modes, and etc in the logfile. Do I copy these
> values to xorg.conf?

I'm not sure what you are asking for here; what you should do once
output basically works is to add modelines for the resolutions you're
using according to the specification of CRT in order to get maximum
refresh rates. There's nothing sparc64-specific here, just follow one
of the usual guides/modline calculators.

> 3) Do I need to run -v 9 when running X -config *new? I use that command
> from the /root with xorg.conf.new.

I don't know what the former switch is supposed to do and I can't
find it in the manual page I've installed here. My guess would be
the intention is to use VT 9, which already should be the default
though.

Marius