Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:29:25 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

Chuck Robey wrote:

> Were you aware that most of the netpbm things that go into postscript CALL
> ghostscript?  In fact, since you say you've been printing jpegs and gifs
> for a long time, go a look (a closer one) at the executeables you've been
> using.  How do they do it?

FWIW, hp2xx can do some conversions between  several formats and PCL and
stuff used by plotters. When I updated the GNU ghostscript port (now
dead as far as I am concerned), I added a PCL driver that converts all
the ghostscript stuff to PCL. I suggested Martin Lottermoser (the
author) a module for X, somewhat like display postscript, that could
handle PCL instead of ps, he then claimed that this was a good idea
because hislatest version didn't depend on ghostscript anymore.

This is getting off-topic, but when I looked at apsfilter I disliked two
things:

1) the license.
2) It required configuring some stuff to build so it was not available
as a package.

I disagree on converting everything to postscript in the first place so
I ended up using one of the filters that comes with ghostcript.

I have not used LPRng lately but, except for future compatibility with
BSDi, I don't see any reason to replace our lpd.

cheers,

    Pedro.