Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:53:03 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        MIHIRA Yoshiro <sanpei@sanpei.org>
Cc:        brucegb@realtime.net, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for quicktime codecs?

MIHIRA Yoshiro wrote:

> brucegb@realtime.net
>
> >>      When I try to play a quicktime (well the package says I need
> >>    quicktime, it ends .mov), I get the following message:
> >>
> >> Can't load the codec
> >> quicktime_codec_SVQ1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >> FileMOV::read_header: unsupported video codec
> >>
> >>    Any ideas where I might find the quicktime_codec)SVQ1.so file?
>
>   ports/graphics/xmovie support QuickTime, but I don't know whather
> it support SVQ1 code(?).
>
> http://heroines.sourceforge.net/xmovie.php3

No, there are no Sorenson codecs available for Linux/FreeBSD.  This
is not for lack of trying, between Sorenson's Lawyers and Apples
Lawyers nobody wants to get within 100' of that codec.  Even if
somebody were crazy enough to jump into that snake pit, there is
no way you'd ever get the codecs out of Apple/Sorenson.

The upshot is, you will not be able to play any Quicktimes you download
off of the net, as anything encoded in the past 2 to 3 years has used
the Sorenson codec.

There is a bright side to all of this, at least you don't have to use
the horrendous Apple Quicktime player under Windows.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org