Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 02:19:39 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

Brett Glass wrote:

>>The Project would be better off if people tried to take other's seeming
>>offenses less seriously in general, and particularly when considering
>>actions which are likely to send someone packing forever, like the
>>withdrawal of priviledges or even the sending of a too-harsh flame.
>>

>I agree. This is one of the problems which is exacerbated by the
>fact that the project is governed by the developers. Many
>developers, even quite brilliant ones, are short-tempered and
>react very badly when the smallest amount of their bandwidth is
>consumed by something that is not of interest to them. They lack
>the patience and diplomatic skills to be managers of the entire
>project. Yet, FreeBSD, due largely to its history, still vests
>general governance in the "core team" -- which, in fact, might be glad
>to get rid of that responsibility and focus pretty much exclusively
>on hacking.

You could well be right there Brett. I think many organisations have
people that excelled in a technical position and are promoted into
management despite a lack of ability to perform a managerial role.

The problem in FreeBSD's context is that if the experienced developers
who have the time and dedication to be 'in-charge' don't do the job,
then who does? No one knows this project like its developers, and no one
else would want the job of trying to steer it..... I personally am
generally pleased with how -core performs its duties.

It's also important not to generalise too much, I think "many
developers" should be "some developers". :)

Andrew.