Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 2015 00:26:14 +0300
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
To:        Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?utf-8?Q?Michael_Gr=C3=BCnewald?= <michipili@gmail.com>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, "pgsql@freebsd.org" <pgsql@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal to fix postgresql package maintainance nightmare

> 4 aug 2015 kl. 14:33 skrev Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>:
>=20
>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Michael Gr=C3=BCnewald <michipili@gmail.c=
om> wrote:
>>=20
>>> On 21 Jul 2015, at 11:46, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> - Impossible to have tools from both old and new version at the same tim=
e (which
>>> is necessary to upgrade db and prepare upgrades of db) =E2=80=A6
>>=20
>> Could not jails be used to solve these issues by running the two (=E2=80=A6=
) required versions
>> in jailed environments?  There is a little bit of setup, but if by any ch=
ance you
>> are using some variation of the immutable server pattern, it should stay v=
ery low.
>=20
> You can't ask an average FreeBSD user who just wants to upgrade
> his/her PostgreSQL installation to set up jails that would be only
> used for one task. The upgrade should be achievable with just 'pkg
> upgrade' without any extra work.
>=20
> -Kimmo

True. Also, pg_upgrade cannot operate using different jails.

But for some ppl, jails if definitely a solution. The problem we're trying t=
o solve is not that, though, it is when not using jails. Supporting pg_upgra=
de is one of my main concerns, and also the ability to run several postgresq=
l versions simultaneously for whatever reason.=20

Palle