Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 16:09:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Branson Matheson wrote:

>  ok... so where does one get a dvorak keyboard?

Many places.  If you are using a fairly recent version of FreeBSD
and use syscons, you can use kbdcontrol to load a dvorak keymap
which can be found in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps.  If you use a
recent version of XFree86 with the keyboard extension, it comes
with a dvorak layout option.  Most any xterminal will work with
the xdvorak program.  The Amiga comes with a dvorak keymap
standard.  Some versions of MS-DOS came with dvorak keymaps.  I
think you can download an "extras" disks from Microsoft for
recent versions of MS-DOS that includes a dvorak layout.  Dvorak
keymaps are readily available for the Macintosh, although there
is a lot of variation among them.  The one I use is available
from Dvorak International.  I may still have a line of emacs code
to remap if you live in emacs and must use a dumb terminal.
I once had a dvorak keymap file for NextStep.  Back when I used
CP/M, I used a keyboard macro program to make a dvorak keymap.

I think that covers most environments in common use.

http://www.ccsi.com/~mbrooks/dvorak has some more info.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================