Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 12:52:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Friendly Icon

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 paul@originative.co.uk wrote:
> > >    What, may I ask, was wrong with the cover image from the 2.2
> > > CDs?
> >
> > There was nothing "wrong" with it, we just saw a need for a little
> > variety and we'd been using the same image for a couple of years.  OK,
> > so perhaps a tail-less waiter wasn't the best idea for a replacement
> > we've ever had, but I'm still more than keen to see alternative images
> > (and put out a call for same long before I ever contracted for the
> > waiter/news/bug/docs/release related images).  Everyone seems to like
> > the others, FWIW, just the waiter has been "contraversial."
>
> I didn't see the other thread on the waiter image but the impression it gave
> us here was of someone working at McDonalds, not generally a highly
> respected image :-) I think it was the coke like container he was carrying
> more than anything that gave that impression rather than the waiter concept.
> To be honest, I hadn't actually noticed he was tailess.

Hmm... maybe if he was carrying a computer or CDROM or something else
computer-related on the tray, rather than a soda?  I do think the
image fits the "Power to Serve" theme, but not with the soda.

Make it something that looks really heavy with him holding it up
with one arm and it'll show just what kind of "power" we have. :-) A
"fully-loaded" server chassis perhaps.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."