Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 2014 22:04:50 +0000 (UTC)
From:      John Case <case@SDF.ORG>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   comparing SSH key and passphrase auth vs. an SSH key *with* a passphrase ...

Hi,

I've always used SSH with simply a password.  This has always worked fine
for me.

Lately, I've been thinking that I might like to increase my security by
using *both* a UNIX password and an SSH key.  That is, I can't log in
unless I have my password and my key.  However, it doesn't look like SSH
supports this - either you do unix password OR you do SSH key, it doesn't
look like there is any way to do both.

However, what I could do is only use an SSH key, but set a passphrase on
that key.  The only difference here is that my safety is all bound up in
SSH, whereas before it was distributed between SSH and the OS.

So I'm curious...

What's the difference between using a UNIX password combined with an SSH
key (if that actually worked, which it doesn't) and using an SSH key with
a passphrase attached ?  Is one of these better than the other ?  Are they
the same ?

What's the difference ?

Thanks.