Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 11:23:39 +1000 (EST)
From:      Wayne Farmer <wayne@aarnet.edu.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory Process Limit when running /bin/sh

I have named running from /etc/sysconfig and hence /etc/rc on boot.

It is running as a caching named and grows with time.
But when it hits 64Mb, the following occurs :

... named[68]: savedata: malloc: Cannot allocate memory - ABORT
... /kernel: pid 68: named: uid 0: exited on signal 6
... /kernel: uid 0 on /: file system full

A previous answer suggested this was a shell limit and suggested the
ulimit command in sh - I looked but did not find so I ran named again
using tcsh with increased memory limits and it is now running at 90Mb no
problems.

Does /bin/sh have a built-in limit ?  Can it be changed ?  What is the
suggestion in this type of case ?  I have read where /bin/sh is not true
Bourne.

Thanks
Wayne