Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:58:55 +0200 (DFT)
From:      Dermot McNally <dermot@sissdev.sps.mot.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        dg@root.com, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: I am contemplating the following change...

On 21-Jul-97 Christoph Kukulies wrote:

>280/5 was one of the most common setting I was using in the past
>for the WD8003 8 bit cards. I adopted this setting also
>for those 16 bit cards (WD8013) the latter requiring to be programmed
>for this value pair.
>
>Another common setting was 300/10 for the 16 bit cards which is a jumper
>selectable option on the WD8013 (phased out) and SMC Ultra 8216 cheapo
>cards of these days.
>
>I vote for keeping 280/5 because this doesn't rule out 8 bit cards.

Neither does changing it - it just means that users of 8-bit cards need
to switch a non-default value.  But the default should most sensibly
reflect a combination of:

a) Reality - 8 bit cards are rarer and rarer
b) Common sense - no point encouraging people to use settings that stomp
   on their sound cards or serial ports.

At the end of the day, I'm being selfish because, like Jordan, I'm an
"IRQ 10 every time" kind of bloke who is fed up with overriding daft
defaults that fewer and fewer people will ever use.

Dermot