Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:26:35 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, papowell@astart.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

At 9:18 AM -0400 6/30/00, Chuck Robey wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
> > I'm a bit spaced out right now, but offhand I don't see why
> > ghostscript would be needed for converting anything (except
> > PDF) into postscript.  I suspect apsfilter only uses it for
> > printing postscript jobs on non-postscript printers, or for
> > doing clever manipulation of postscript (for page-counting,
> > perhaps).  I would be inclined to use something like netpbm
> > to get GIF images INTO postscript.  Not ghostscript.
> >
> > [this says nothing about how much stuff lprng or apsfilter
> > brings in, of course.  I'm just not sure why one would fire
> > up ghostscript to print gif images...]
>
>Because postscript printers only print postscript, and not gif.

Well, I'm aware of that part...   :-)

I think you're answering a bigger question than I'm asking.  Let
me put it this way.  I have printed many GIF images in my life,
and at no time have I fired up ghostscript to do it.  Not once.
None of my personal computers even have ghostscript installed
(even though all our public workstations do).  Thus, my first
reaction is that a person doesn't NEED ghostscript to print a
GIF image on a postscript printer.  My first guess might be to
use something like netpbm, or to look into ports/graphics/gif*
to see what packages are there.

I understand apsfilter is using ghostscript for a number of other
very useful things.  I just thought the specific comment about
using ghostscript to print GIF images seemed odd.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute